Piano Competition 2023
The organizer of the competition is the Gustav Mahler Institute Prague in cooperation with the Gustav Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava. The mission and goal of the competition is to deepen the interest and motivation of young talented pianists to interpret mutual understanding, interpretative confrontation, inspiration and love for music. The personality of the genius conductor and musical composer Gustav Mahler, who lived in Jihlava for the first 15 years of his life and inspired and enriched so much, reminds him of his noble ideas about the mission of music and is a permanent inspiration source and model for young musicians from all over the world.
Closing date: May 31, 2023
Announcement of results: June 30, 2023
Mahler's first public concert
"On 13-10-1870 there was, by way of an exception, an Abonnement suspendu, the reason being that a nine year-old boy, the son of a local Jewish tradesman named Mahler, was to be heard for the first time playing the piano before a large audience. The great success the future virtuoso achieved with his audience did him honour; one could only wish that for his excellent playing he had had an equally good instrument at his service. If the young artist's former teacher, Herr Kapellmeister Viktorin, hears of yesterday's success, he can certainly be pleased with his protege."
- The competition will be via videos published only on www.youtube.com.
- The competition is open for competitors of all nationalities up to the age of 30, the competition is divided into 11 age categories.
- The competition is a one-round competition, and the condition of the competition is to play from memory.
- The repertoire is free and should consist of one or more pieces which has to fulfill the time limit.
- The video must be a real recording without editing, shot in one static shot, with the camera slightly away from the competitor. Must be visible on the competitor's hands and body at all times.
- The video recording not more than 6 months old must be placed on www.youtube.com, the competitor will include in the application the exact internet link to the video recording.
- Each piece/composition can have a separate link.
- The full names of the pieces, the composer and the competitor, must be included in the video title or description (in English)
- The video must be public (not private) and accessible throughout the competition. The competitor will not seek a financial reward for posting the video and gives consent to post the video on the organiser's web site to announce the results.
- The organiser reserves the right not to open a category for organisational reasons or not to accept an application or to shorten the competition deadline for the competition for capacity reasons.
- The competition deadline: 31.5.2023.
- Announcement of results: 30.6.2023.
- Failure to comply with the above conditions, as well as an apparent reading of the notes during the game, may result in the competitor being eliminated from the competition.
Prizes totalling €5000 will be awarded.
Gustav Mahler Prize - Grand Prix - Personalized Glass Trophy, Prize Money 30,000 CZK, Diploma - the Absolute Winner
Concerts in Prague and Jihlava
Prize of Gustav Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava
Prize of Chief Conductor of the Gustav Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava
Prize of Jury president
Prize of Director of Gustav Mahler Institute Prague
Prize for the best Czech competitor
Prizes for the interpretation of a compositions
Video lesson vouchers
Each competitor receives a diploma (by email) and the evaluation of the performance
Univ. Prof. Libor Novacek BMus MMus
Professor of Piano, Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz, Austria, Professor of Piano, Prague Conservatoire, Czech Republic
Doc. Mgr. Renata Lichnovská
pianist, pedagogue of The Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts Brno, Czech Republic
Mgr. Jiří Jakeš
Principal conductor of Gustav Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava, Czech Republic
- The jury will assess the competitive performance of the competitors, determine the order of the competitors in each category, determine the absolute winner of the competition, determine the award holder.
- The jury's deliberations are not public, the jury does not publish evaluations.
- The jury's decision is final, indisputable and there is no appeal.
Application shall be submitted exclusively electronically by completing an online form at www.mahler.institute (at the end of this page) and paying a registration fee. A proof of payment of the fee shall accompany the application. Applications may be submitted no later than May 31, 2023. You will receive a final confirmation of your participation in the competition after you have submitted your application and credited the payment of the registration fee to our bank account.
The bank fee is paid by the sender of the payment.
To pay the registration fee, use our bank account::
Owner: Institut Gustava Mahlera, z.s.
address: Fio banka, a.s., Millennium Plaza, V Celnici 10, 117 21 Prague, Czech Republic
Fee can be paid via payPal (please use our email for Paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please, enter the name of the competitor in the note/message to the recipient.
The registration fee is non-refundable.
Please, fill in in English only!