3rd Gustav Mahler Prize Cello Competition 2021
This year we decided to convert the competition into a virtual environment. You will compete via a video link located at www.youtube.com. Please read carefully the competition rules below. The closing date for the competition is 31.12.2020.
Absolute winners of Gustav Mahler Prize Cello Competition:
2021 - maybe YOU!
2020 - Yeeun Kang / South Korea
2019 - Bence Temesvári / Hungary
The organizer of the competition is the Gustav Mahler Prague Institute (Institut Gustava Mahler Praha) in Prague in cooperation with the G. Mahler Jihlava Philharmonic (Filharmonií G. Mahler Jihlava).
The mission and goal of the competition is to deepen the interest and motivation of young talented violoncellists to interpret mutual understanding, interpretative confrontation, inspiration and love for music. The personality of the genius conductor and musical composer Gustav Mahler, who lived in Jihlava for the first 15 years of his life and inspired and enriched so much, reminds him of his noble ideas about the mission of music and is a permanent inspiration source and model for young musicians from all over the world.
- The competition will be via videos published on www.youtube.com due to anti-epidemic measures.
- The video must be a real recording without editing, shot in one static shot, with the camera slightly away from the competitor.
- Must be visible on the competitor's hands and face at all times
- The video recording not more than 3 months old must be placed on www.youtube.com on the channel of the competitor, parent, school and so on, the competitor will include in the application the exact internet link to the video recording.
- The competition is divided into 11 age categories for competitors of all nationalities up to the age of 30 .
- The organiser reserves the right not to open a category for organisational reasons or not to accept an application or to shorten the competition deadline for the competition for capacity reasons.
- The competition deadline: 31.12.2020
- Announcement of results: 8.2.2021
- The competition is a one-round competition, and the condition of the competition is to play from memory.
- The competitive repertoire is free, play solo, or with piano accompaniment, the competitors only have to respect the time limit for the composition.
- Failure to comply with the above conditions, as well as an apparent reading of the notes during the game, may result in the competitor being eliminated from the competition.
Competitive category and time limit of competitive track
Category year of birth Time limit of composition
1. 2011 and younger 2 - 5 min.
2. 2010 4 - 8 min.
3. 2009 4 - 8 min.
4. 2008 5 - 10 min.
5. 2007 5 - 10 min.
6. 2006 7 - 10 min.
7. 2005 7 - 10 min.
8. 2004 9 - 12 min.
9. 2001 - 2003 9 - 12 min.
10. 1996 - 2000 10 - 13 min.
11. 1991 - 1995 11 - 15 min.
- The jury will assess the competitive performance of the competitors, determine the order of the competitors in each category, determine the absolute winner of the competition, determine the award holder.
- The jury's deliberations are not public, the jury does not publish evaluations.
- The jury's decision is final, indisputable and there is no appeal.
- The jury will be appointed by the director of the Gustav Mahler Institute Prague.
Gustav Mahler Prize and Financial Prize 30,000 CZK - for the absolute winner
Prize of G. Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava - awarded by the G. Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava and presents the possibility of a concert performance (orchestral or chamber concert) in future years
Prize of Chief Conductor of the G. Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava
Prize of Jury president
Prize for best Czech competitors
Prize of the competition director for the youngest competitors
Each competitor receives a diploma (by email)
The jury may also award other special prizes, also reserving the right not to award one.
Applications shall be submitted exclusively electronically by completing an online form at www.mahler.institute (at the end of this page) and paying a registration fee. A certificate of payment of the fee shall accompany the application. Applications may be submitted no later than December 31, 2020. In case of high interest, the organiser reserves the right to terminate receipt of applications before that date.
Registration fee: 1st - 5th category - € 37
6th - 8th category - € 75
9th - 10th category - € 100
11th category - € 111
The registration fee must be paid in full by bank transfer:
Owner: Institut Gustava Mahlera, z.s.
address: Fio banka, a.s., Millennium Plaza, V Celnici 10, 117 21 Prague, Czech Republic
Please, enter the name of the competitor in the note/message to the recipient. Bank fees go to the competitor.
The registration fee is non-refundable.
Enter your text here...