Gustav Mahler Prize
Piano Competition 2021
"On 13-10-1870 there was, by way of an exception, an Abonnement suspendu, the reason being that a nine year-old boy, the son of a local Jewish tradesman named Mahler, was to be heard for the first time playing the piano before a large audience. The great success the future virtuoso achieved with his audience did him honour; one could only wish that for his excellent playing he had had an equally good instrument at his service. If the young artist's former teacher, Herr Kapellmeister Viktorin, hears of yesterday's success, he can certainly be pleased with his protege."
Gustav Mahler - First public concert in Jihlava
- The competition will be via videos published on www.youtube.com due to anti-epidemic measures.
- The competition is open for competitors of all nationalities up to the age of 30.
- The competition is a one-round competition, and the condition of the competition is to play from memory.
- The repertoire is free.
- The repertoire should consist of one or more pieces which has to fulfill the time limit.
- The competition is divided into 11 age categories.
- The video must be a real recording without editing, shot in one static shot, with the camera slightly away from the competitor.
- Must be visible on the competitor's hands and body at all times.
- The video recording not more than 6 months old must be placed on www.youtube.com, the competitor will include in the application the exact internet link to the video recording.
- Each piece can have a separate link.
- The full names of the pieces, the composer and the competitor, must be included in the video title or description (in English)
- The video must be public (not private) and accessible throughout the competition. The competitor will not seek a financial reward for posting the video and gives consent to post the video on the organiser's web site to announce the results.
- The organiser reserves the right not to open a category for organisational reasons or not to accept an application or to shorten the competition deadline for the competition for capacity reasons.
- The competition deadline: 31.5.2021.
- Announcement of results: 30.6.2021.
- Failure to comply with the above conditions, as well as an apparent reading of the notes during the game, may result in the competitor being eliminated from the competition.
Competitive category and time limit
of competitive video
Category year of birth Time limit of composition
- The jury will assess the competitive performance of the competitors, determine the order of the competitors in each category, determine the absolute winner of the competition, determine the award holder.
- The jury's deliberations are not public, the jury does not publish evaluations.
- The jury's decision is final, indisputable and there is no appeal.
- The jury will be appointed by the director of the Gustav Mahler Institute Prague.
Prize of Gustav Mahler Philharmonic Jihlava
(presents the possibility of a concert performance (orchestral or chamber concert) in future years)
Each competitor receives a diploma (by email)
The jury may also award other special prizes, also reserving the right not to award one.
Application shall be submitted exclusively electronically by completing an online form at www.mahler.institute (at the end of this page) and paying a registration fee. A proof of payment of the fee shall accompany the application. Applications may be submitted no later than May 31, 2021.
1st - 5th category - € 50
6th - 8th category - € 80
9th - 10th category - € 100
11th category - € 111
The registration fee must be paid in full by bank transfer:
Owner: Institut Gustava Mahlera, z.s.
address: Fio banka, a.s., Millennium Plaza, V Celnici 10, 117 21 Prague, Czech Republic
Fee can be paid via payPal (please contact us)
Please, enter the name of the competitor in the note/message to the recipient.
The registration fee is non-refundable.
(Please, fill the application in English. Compulsory fill in bold lines. Proof of payment of the fee is a mandatory annex. You'll see a confirmation after you successfully submit your application.)